Bank architecture: HSBC Bank, Loughborough
9 December 2015
The building occupied by the HSBC Bank in Market Place Loughborough is a purpose-built premise. There’s been a bank on that particular site since about 1828, the previous building being renowned for its flower-covered verandahs. The current building was designed by the Leicester architects Goddard, Paget and Goddard for the Leicestershire banking Company and was built by the Loughborough building firm of Moss in about 1893. The Building News, on January 14, 1898 had this to say about the building:
“The new premises of the Leicestershire Banking Company, Limited, occupy a commanding position in the Market-place, all the bank offices being placed upon the ground floor. Above them are suites of private offices, and a caretaker’s residence. The plinth is of polished red granite, above which the front is of Portland stone.”
The commanding position presumably refers to its prominent position next to what used to be the Corn Exchange and is now the Town Hall. In 1984 the building was added to the register of listed buildings and is Grade II listed. The listing, as can be viewed on the Charnwood Borough Council website, gives quite a comprehensive description of the impressive architectural features, including the “distyle porch”, the “part-fluted columns”, the “decorative finials” and the “decorative lead finials”.
Do you have any photographs or memories we could add to this feature? If so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org