Nanpantan Reservoir 1870
31 August 2020
‘Four different engineers had given reports upon this question, dealing with the watershed of the Woodbrook at Nanpantan, and the Blackbrook near Onebarrow Lodge. Eventually the former was selected, a reservoir and filter beds with capacity of 29 million gallons 8 ¾ acres in extent, and the town supplied from this source by natural gravitation.’
‘These were opened in 1870 at a cost of £23,500 by Archdeacon Fearon who, in commemoration thereof erected the water drinking fountain in Market-place.’
‘What a boon this water supply was to the town can easily be imagined, in comparison with the existing foul-smelling wells polluted by sewage and filth from the street.’
Joseph Deakin in ‘Loughborough in the XIXth Century’ (Pub. Echo Press Limited).
Images from ‘Bygone Loughborough in Old Photographs Vol 2.’
See what Nanpantan Reservoir looks like in 2020 here.
Post by Alison Mott